- Oregon agriculture is sustainable. Since 1958, 1,200 Oregon farms and ranches are officially recognized as remaining operational and within same family at least 100 years, while 39 have reached the official 150-year-old mark. Source: Oregon Century Farm & Ranch Program
- Oregon is #1 in the nation for Christmas trees, hazelnuts, black raspberries, ryegrass seed, orchard grass seed, crimson clover, sugar beets for seed, red clover seed, fescue seed, blackberries, boysenberries, potted azaleas, and peppermint. (2016) Source: Oregon Dept. of Agriculture
- There are more than 34,600 Oregon farms and ranches, occupying about 16.4 million acres. Average farm size is 474 acres. (2015) Source: Oregon Dept. of Agriculture
- Oregon exported $2.6 billion in raw agriculture products internationally in 2013, representing about 40% of farmgate cash receipts (USDA Economic Research Service, 2014). Agriculture and food exports comprise about 6% of Oregon’s economy and provide 7.4% of the state’s jobs (OSU Rural Studies Program, 2011) Source: 2015 State of Oregon Agriculture report, p. 10
- It’s estimated that about 40% of Oregon agricultural products go to the domestic market outside of Oregon, bringing new dollars into Oregon and supporting rural and urban jobs in agriculture, food processing, and other associated industries. Source: 2015 State of Oregon Agriculture report, p. 13
- Agriculture products represents 10.9% of all Oregon exports. Source: 2015 State of Oregon Agriculture report, p. 5
Learn more about agriculture through this OFB Agricultural Glossary of Terms.
Learn more about Oregon’s agriculture’s top commodities from ODA’s “Facts and Figures” brochure. — see the Junior Edition of Facts & Figures, especially for kids!
OSU’s Future of Oregon’s Agricultural Land report (2016)
OSU’s Breaking New Ground: Farmer Perspectives on Organic Transition (2017)
Oregon Board of Ag “State of Oregon Agriculture” report (2017)
Info for BEGINNING & YOUNG farmers
OSU Report: Oregon Agriculture, Food and Fiber: An Economic Analysis (2015)
2015 stats for Oregon ag from USDA, NASS, and NW Regional Field Office
Interesting info about Oregon agriculture and the Farm Bill
Lots of great resources about Oregon agriculture from the state Dept. of Agriculture
Great resources from the OSU Extension Catalog on Oregon ag production, marketing, and specific commodities
Check out a commodity map of ag products around the state from Oregon Ag in the Classroom.
2012 Census of Agriculture: Oregon data from last Ag Census or see the Whole Census
Info about Oregon agriculture from the USDA Economic Research Service
2016 Northwest Ag Economic Impact Study by NW Farm Credit Services, OSU Extension Rural Studies Program and
University of Idaho Extension Service
Activities & info to celebrate National Ag Day!
FIND MORE GREAT AG RESOURCES HERE!